Remote controls?

Use this Forum to register your ideas for improvements and new features to LongReach. This Forum is managed by the LongReach user community. LANSA cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information posted to this Forum.
starbg

Remote controls?

Post by starbg » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:02 am

I did have one immediate question that I didn't see addressed in the quick review of the website, how does this solution handle the issues of BYOD vs corporate devices? Is the solution configured/controlled from the central server so that the app and, much more importantly, the files can be remotely destroyed when needed? Corporate devices can be controlled via mobile device management; but BYOD requires a great deal more constrained control.

I know that this solution is focused on being a step up from DropBox and see that the server-side security possibilities are great. But I do have to point out there are many current solutions that are concerned with the security issues of files stored on the mobile devices - especially BYOD when there are events like employee termination or lost/stolen devices. Now practical folks like us can agree that these are probably overblow concerns and not as worrisome as the current issues with laptops and even printed reports, confidential price lists, etc. that get distributed. However, there are many VCs seriously funding many companies providing solutions in this space - there are many different areas of focus/approaches for those solutions. I won't overload you with many links; but perhaps you might want to check out some of the thoughts of Ken Singer of AppCentral (http://www.appcentral.com/) who was the first one to open my eyes to the concerns of enterprise security folks.

HTH, *bg

starbg

Re: Remote controls?

Post by starbg » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:33 pm

I've been thinking quite a bit about this subject the last few days - especially given the initial feedback from the folks from the North American team (separate emails before I learned of this forum). I would like to modify/withdraw my suggestion. The requirement is there - no doubt in my mind; however, the issues with Mobile Application Management (MAM) are greater than the scope of LongReach.

Given that the LANSA product team will likely deliver other mobile solutions going forward and there is a strong probability that IBM i customers may build their own mobile solutions (using LANSA or other dev tools), it seems that a better answer would be for those customers to strongly consider enterprise container products/utilities like those from AppCentral, Good Technology, App47 and others - including the one that most recently has caught my interest, Nukona (I'll be testing it soon - hopefully in conjunction with LongReach).

HTH, *bg